Patriotic Costume Contest
- Get as creative as you want with your red, white, and blue attire. Or dress up as a key American figure like the Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, or Hamilton.
- Costumes can be handmade or bought. Please remember that this is a family event so please no risque costumes.
- Open to all ages. The contest will include two categories.
- 0-17 years of age
- 18 & older
- Winner in each category gets $50
Best Apple Pie Contest
1st Ribbon, $100
Homemade Pie Contest Rules
- a) This contest is open to bakers of all ages!
- b) Pies must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
- c) Each Pie must be made from scratch and based on an 8” – 10” pie plate/pan. Each pie must include a cover. You may not use a pre-made store-bought crust.
Enter a Pie
- a) Bring your Pie to the contest site, at Palmview City Hall between 5-6 p.m. on July 3, 2023. At this time your pie will be given an entry number, maintaining the confidentiality of the bakers.
- b) Fill out the registration form.
- Acknowledge that the entered pie becomes the property of the City of Palmview
and that you do not get your pie back.
- If you win you give your permission to have your photo taken during the
announcement ceremony and have it used for Pie Contest and event promotional materials.
2.) A copy of your pie recipe, on a 3×5 card or 8×11 paper, with a list of ingredients must be provided with the recipe name, contestant name, and phone number, at the time of drop off.
- a) Judging will start at 6 p.m. Judges will not be present at the contest tent while pies are delivered to ensure the confidentiality of the bakers.
- b) Judging area will be “off limits” to all but Judges and Pie Contest Committee members.
- c) Minimum of three Judges.
- d) Criteria – Each pie will be judged on the following, out of 95 possible points.
- Overall Appearance – points 1-20
- Crust – Color, Texture, Doneness, Flavor – points 1-20
iii. Filling – Consistency, Doneness, Moistness, Flavor – points 1-20
- Flavor – points 1-20
- Creativity – points 1-20
- Each judge assigns a numerical value in each criteria category, without consultation with the other judges.
- The pie receiving the highest total numerical value is the winner. The Pie Contest Committee will tally the judging sheets.
iii. In the case of a tie, the judges will judge those pies again.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- a) Winners will be announced after the judging is complete at 6:30 p.m. on the main stage.
Deposition of Pies – all pies become the property of the City of Palmview.
The contest continues rain or shine.
For more information call Arely Barrera at (956)-432-0325.
Watermelon Eating Contest
- Entries are limited to the amount of watermelon available. Registration begins at 5 p.m. and will continue until all spots are filled or the time the contest starts, whichever occurs first.
- Contestants must be at least 16 years and older.
- The object is to be the fastest person to eat a slice of watermelon down to the rind.
- NO HANDS MAY BE USED. Contestants must place their hands behind their backs while eating the watermelon.
- A contestant may not leave his/her designated spot for any reason during the contest.
- Any visible signs of illness will cause disqualification.
- The watermelon must be consumed. It may not be spit out.
- Contestants must not touch/eat any watermelon until the start signal is given.
- If seed spitting is required, then it must be done on the contestant’s own plate. Seeds discharged in any direction or into another contestant’s area will be immediately disqualified.
- The person to finish his/her watermelon and stand upright will end the contest and be declared the winner. Judges will decide if the watermelon is finished before ending the contest.
- In the event of a tie – the contestants in the tie will have to eat another slice following the same rules as above.
- Any complaint relative to the size of the watermelon slice must be lodged with the judge before the start of the contest.
- A waiver must be signed by each contestant before the contest.