Can I still turn in my Personal History Statement if I don’t have all of my required documents?

We understand that some of the required documents that are listed in the packet may be difficult to get or time consuming. If a document is not readily accessible to you or you need to request for a document to be sent, you will just indicate in your PHS that the document has been requested and then once it is received we will add it to your packet. However, items such as copies of your driver license and vehicle insurance should be readily accessible and will need to be included, otherwise your packet can be disqualified due to being incomplete.

Close window