Welcome to our new website! Please give us feedback →

Planning & Zoning Frequently Asked Questions


A variance or a special exception is permission to depart from a specific code or regulation as it applies to development.

A variance may be sought when the literal enforcement of a provision of the regulations will result in an unnecessary hardship and the granting of a variance is not merely a convenience to the applicant.

The Zoning Board of Adjustment and Appeals act on such requests. The request requires a public hearing.

A setback is measured from a lot (property) line to the nearest point of a building or structure using a perpendicular line to the property line. Front property lines are usually the trickiest. Remember to always measure from a lot line and not the back of the curb or sidewalk.

Zoning is the practice of classifying areas and properties to allow for specific uses. With Council direction and a Committee of several residents, the City moved forward with an update of the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map. By doing so, The City of Palmview will be able to create a tax base, promote smart growth, and protect our great neighborhoods!

Zoning is the practice of dividing an area into districts within which regulations and requirements uniformly govern the use, placement, spacing and size of land and buildings. Zoning is most often utilized to protect properties from incompatible adjacent land uses and to preserve the “character” of a community.

A Zoning District defines the types of primary and accessory uses that can be developed and what types of development standards will govern that use. Development standards include but are not limited to lot size, lot width, setbacks, heights of structures and buildings, lot coverage and screening.

An application for a rezoning request is submitted to the Planning Department. Once the Planning Department has adequately reviewed the case, it goes before the Planning and Zoning Commission for consideration. It is then forwarded to City Council for consideration and action. The City Council is the final approval authority for rezoning requests.

A plat is the official map of an addition or subdivision, showing the number and dimensions of lots, public rights-of-way, and easements. The plat must be filed with the County Clerk after the City has approved it.

According to the Texas Local Government Code, the platting process is required unless all of the following conditions are met: The division results in parcels of land that each contain an area greater than five (5) acres. Each parcel has access to a public street and no public improvement is being dedicated.

A licensed professional engineer will be required to prepare a plat. You can locate a professional engineer or surveyor by contacting the Texas Society of Professional Engineers or the Texas Surveyor’s Association or by looking in your local phone directory.

2018 ICC Family of Codes

2020 National Electric Code

Close window