Streets maintenance

Streets, Drainage, Culverts, Ditches, Sidewalks & Trees


The Department performs many activities including street repair, overlays, maintenance on drainage systems, cleaning ditches, street signs, cleaning trash and brush off lots for code enforcement, mowing right of ways, repair sidewalks and curbs, and painting road stripes/buttons.


The Department main duty is the maintenance of all drainage channels. Maintenance consists of maintaining drainage channels, clearing of trees and brush, dig and slope new drainage channels, pour concrete slopes, install box culverts or pipe, place rip-rap rock on slopes, set or build inlet boxes, dig detention ponds, etc.

Driveway Culverts

The street division will establish the pipe size and the amount required for the driveway planned. The street division will install and backfill the pipe for the property owner once they have obtained a permit from the Inspection Division, and purchased the pipe for delivery to the site. You may call the Public Works department at (956)432-0300 to arrange for driveway culvert installation.


Where a drainage easement exists, the street division has the responsibility for maintenance such as mowing, silt removal, wash out stabilization, etc. If no easement exists, the maintenance responsibility normally is the property owner’s. You may call the Public Works department to determine whether or not an easement exists.

Sidewalk Repairs

The city ordinance actually allows the city council to instruct the adjacent property owners to repair the sidewalk along their frontage. In residential areas, the street division will assist by removing damaged sections of sidewalk for the property owner.

Tree Removal

The street division cannot come onto your private property to remove any trees. If there is a dead or dying tree on the street or alley ROW adjacent to your property, the street division will remove that tree.


How do I report problems with a street such as potholes, sweeping needs, curb repair, sight distance problems, etc.?

Please report any other street issue, such as; potholes, sweeping needs, curb repair, sight distance problem, etc.- during business hours by calling (956)432-0300, however, it is preferred that you utilize the Report an Issue form.


Close window