Permits and code enforcement frequently asked questions

What kind of project requires a permit?

 Carports, concrete slabs, porches, driveways, swimming pools, new homes, gazebos, additions, electrical, plumbing, irrigation, a/c mechanical.

When you intend to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, convert, improve, demolish, or change the use of building or structure.

Cosmetic work such as painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, or similar finish work does not require a permit.

Do I need a permit for a garage sale?

Yes, a garage sale permit is required to be placed on site on the day/days it was issued for. Garage sales are only allowed at residential homes. They are $10.00 per day and you can obtain up to 4 garage sales per year.

How can I apply for a permit?

You may go to City Hall Located At 400 W Veterans Blvd. The office Is open Monday-Friday 8:00am To 5:00pm or you may also apply via email by sending an email to

How long does it take for my permit to be reviewed?

 It can take from 7-10 business days for an application to be reviewed.​

What is the fee for the permit?

Fees depend on the type of permit and project you are doing. See the city of Palmview code of ordinances on our website to see the fee schedule or you may call our Palmview Planning Department for more information at 956-432-0300. 

Are there penalties for starting work without a permit?

Yes. The penalty is 2 times the original permit cost.

Do I need to register my business?

Yes, if you are interested in opening a business inside City limits, it is required for you to register your business with the City of Palmview.  The following items are required to register a business.  Valid ID, Copy of water bill, DBA registration with the County, Sales tax permit, lease agreement, and site plan of location.

What type of work does not require a permit?

You are not required to apply for a permit if you are doing non-structural work such as cosmetic work such as painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops, or similar finish work does not require a permit.

Do I need to hire a licensed contractor?

For any kind of work pertaining to electrical, plumbing, irrigation, or mechanical work a contractor with a master license in the field is necessary. The contractor needs to contact the city to obtain proper permitting.

What are the setbacks?

Property setbacks are building restrictions imposed on property owners. This can be a distance from a curb, property line, or structure within which building is prohibited.

When do I need an inspection?

Building – Foundation, Setbacks, Framing, Nail pattern, Insulation, Infiltration, Poly seal, Driveway, Sidewalk (if applicable), Final 

Plumbing – Plumbing rough in, Tap out, Water and vents, Irrigation, Backflow, Final 

Electrical – T- pole, Rough in, working clearance, service upgrade, Meter, Final 

Mechanical – A/C rough in, Final

How can I request an inspection?

 Inspections need to be requested 24 hrs. prior to the inspection. You may set up an inspection request using the following methods:

  1. Via call – call our office at 956-432-0300 
  2. Via email – send and email to
  3. Make sure you provide the address of where inspection is needed, type of inspection you are requesting, your name, and a phone number where you can be reached.

What type of violations does Code Enforcement handle?

Code Enforcement handles general ordinance enforcement, health & safety enforcement, junk vehicles, sign violations and tall grass & weeds.  (This list may not be all inclusive)

How does Animal control handle lost and found animals?

The Animal control division keeps a log of lost and found animals.

Anytime you are missing a pet or have found someone else’s pet, report it to our division immediately. Any dogs or cats that are picked up by the Animal control division are then taken to the City of La Joya Animal shelter. 

We encourage the adoption of unclaimed animals. If you are considering pet ownership, please consider a homeless pet.

Close window